KJ and RJ just finished two weeks of swimmy lessons (as RJ refers to them). They really enjoyed themselves and its good that they did because I didn't enjoy the lessons nearly as much. On the fourth day of lessons RJ almost drowned. It's a good thing that Greg was there and that he was close enough to pull her out. It was one of those moments for me where time stood still. I remember looking at the swimming instructor who had her back turned to the rest of the class, then I looked at the lifeguard who was staring out into space (he did not see RJ at all who was within arms reach.) It was very scary, to say the least, to see her arms flailing above the water trying to get her head back above water. The worst part of it all was when I talked to her about it later and she said how hard she was trying to get out, but she just couldn't. It brought me to tears to think how scary it was for her. Luckily Greg jumped up and grabbed her out of the water. She was coughing and really scared, but other than that she seemed to be fine. I gave the lifeguard a few choice words, and then had to walk away before I regretted my words or actions. One accident report and a few phone calls to the pool manager later, all was well. RJ took it like a champ and continued the next week with her lessons with no lasting fear of the water. We joked about it later and decided that it was good practice for her getting her whole head under the water and she seemed to be proud of herself.




KJ got to explore the big kids pool on the last day

Two happy sisters proud of their swimming accomplishments
No comments:
Post a Comment